WP-Members™ ™ 2.3 Bug Fix – Non-widget Sidebar Login

An astute user recently pointed out an unknown bug that was introduced in the WP-Members™ 2.3.0 release and carries through the current 2.3.2 release.

If the user calls the wpmem_inc_sidebar function directly (as in the case of not using the widget), you will get a fatal error. I made some file structure changes in 2.3.0 in the area of the sidebar, the widget, and the login status and manually calling the function got overlooked. Fortunately, this effects a small number of users, there is an easy workaround, and I’ve already added a fix in the upcoming 2.3.3 feature release.

If you are effected by this bug and need a fix before the 2.3.3 release, you can do the following:

• Open wp-members.php
  • At the end of the file, before the closing php tag (“?>”), add this:
    include_once('wp-members-sidebar.php');
  • Save the file

Comments

Actually, they already can do that after a successful registration. The purpose for the process is to require that the user at least provide you with a valid email. They will receive a random password upon registration, and after they login with that, they can then change it to whatever they want via the members area.

1. mischa says

Chad I know that the users can change the password in the profile page, but for speed up the process I want like the possibility that the users can decide to choose there own password and not change it in the profile page.

2. steve says

How do you change the default email address used when a new person registers. I have WordPress [[email protected]] – Where can I change it ?

Hi Steve – thanks for your comment. The plugin uses the default email you have set for WordPress. This is found in the General Settings – whatever you have set there will be the email address it is sent from.

3. steve says

Hi Chad, Thanks for getting back. That#s what I thought it should be but I do have a proper email address set up in the general settings so was wondering why it wasn’t being picked up. I also an e-commerce plugin on the site and a special theme. Could one of these possibly be stopping it from sending the right address? Website at http://www.whites-premiumbreederclub.com . not sure if you can spot it from viewing the source code ?? Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been away from things for awhile. You can contact me directly via the contact tab.

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to see what is amiss from the generated source. But if you’re not getting the emails, it may not be the plugin. WP-Members relies on the native WP function wp_email. If there is something that is not functioning there, the emails are not going to get sent regardless. There’s a some info in the FAQs for the plugin regarding this, under “Users are not being emailed their passwords

Hope that helps.

4. steve says

Hi Chad, thanks for the reply. The emails are being sent fine. I wouldn’t want other people to think otherwise of your great plug-in. My query was about the Sent From name that appears in the emails that get delivered. I think you said it was supposed to be the WP default that is set in the settings menu but my ones always get delivered with a from address of [email protected], and I can’t work out why it doesn’t pick up the address in the settings menu.

ahhh… the email that it comes from is what wp_email uses as a default ([email protected]). This unfortunately is built into WordPress. However, there are plugins to change it. What you want is a plugin to change the “from” address.

The address that you set as the administrator email in the settings is the address that will receive any notifications from the plugin regarding registrations/moderations, etc.

5. Bill Scheider says

The site I’m developing is for a musician who also teaches. He want to have an area of his site that is available only to students. I’ve got the plugin set up and working the way it’s expected (it’s excellent, btw :)).

Here’s what we’d like to be able to do: Since he’s working with a fairly small number of students at any time, we’d like to create a user/password account in advance and then distribute that to students. In other words, we don’t need to have the New User Registration section appear on the page when a non-student attempts to access the information (ideally, we could replace that with some notification that this content is available only to current students).

How can I do that, ie, remove the New Registration piece?
    Thanks for your help.
    Bill

Hi Bill – Thanks for the comments. What you want to do is turn off the registration process. For something like your situation, you will probably be creating the logins yourself anyway and you probably don’t want the registration available to just anyone on the Internet. If you turn of the plugin’s registration process in the options, then you can just create the user accounts through the WP user admin.

6. Bill Scheider says

PS: Chad.
    Another possibility would be for a successful login to re-direct immediately to the protected content! That might be cooler still. Possible?
    Thanks again.
    Bill

7. Bill Scheider says

Thanks so much for your reply. I guess I could’ve saved you some time just by reading the instructions a bit closer! Duh… Sorry. Turning off the registration did the trick.
    Bill

8. Tran says

Dear Chad,
    Thank you for your great plugin. It is running quite well at my website except on issue. I am using version 2.3.2.

My problem is:

I put: at the beginning of single.php in order to list the categories of which the post is in and to have Edit button on the post.

These had functioned well before I installed WP-Member TM 2.3.2.

Now, the categories are always those of my latest post. And when I click on Edit button, it opens the editing pages of my latest post.

My website is still running fine. And I highly appreciate your supports on fixing these bugs.

Many thanks, again.