WP-Members™ 2.3 coming soon

I had finished (or thought I had finished) developing all of the project list for WP-Members™ 2.3, with the exception of time-based expiration of user accounts. This included items originally on the 2.2 release list that I pushed back. That project was released in beta to a few select supporters of the project.

In the meantime, I continued to debate whether or not I would finish the time-based expiration of accounts, add that to the rest of the project, and include it in the release of 2.3. I really wanted to do that as I believe that is a major feature that is missing right now.

But today I have realized there is much more to do in that process before I can release it. Additionally, there have been some significant changes and enhancements that I have added (or updated) along the way as part of the upgrade process. This has included some code cleanup and the updating of some now deprecated WP API calls.

So I am going to release 2.3 with everything but the time-based expiration of accounts update.  The primary enhancements include:

• “show excerpts” option
  • “notify admin” option
  • “moderate registration” option
  • “turn off registration” option

Because of the new features, and the need to explain how to use them, I also need to update the documentation for the plugin (the readme file and the quick-start guide, specifically).  As soon as I have done that, I will release WP-Members™ 2.3 publicly via http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-members

If any as yet undiscovered bugs are in the 2.3 release, I’ll certainly release fix(es) as necessary; but the remainder of the work that I have done beyond that will roll into the next release.  The major component of that is the expiration process, so it will not be released until that is fully complete (so please don’t ask when I expect to have it done).  As to the version, it is beginning to involve some significant changes so this may roll us up to a completely new version.

If you are a financial supporter of the plugin, I thank you!  If you are not, I would encourage you to consider it.  A great deal of time and effort has gone into this project and I will continue to enhance this plugin in the future.

Comments

One thing I would like to see with your script is the ability for Register Users to manage their profile on the front-end, maybe through a templates implementation like here: http://www.cozmoslabs.com/2010/05/31/wordpress-user-registration-template-and-custom-user-profile-fields/

The idea being, you can register and have users maintain their information on the front-end without having to use /wp-login.php OR you could customize wp-login.php to hide the dashboard and just have them edit their profile

function remove_the_dashboard () {
    global $user_level;
    global $menu, $submenu, $user_ID;
    $the_user = new WP_User($user_ID);

if ($user_level > 9){

else {

reset($menu); $page = key($menu);
    while ((__(‘Dashboard’) != $menu[$page][0]) && next($menu))
    $page = key($menu);
    if (__(‘Dashboard’) == $menu[$page][0]) unset($menu[$page]);
    reset($menu); $page = key($menu);
    while (!$the_user->has_cap($menu[$page][1]) && next($menu))
    $page = key($menu);
    if (preg_match(‘#wp-admin/?(index.php)?$#’,$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']) && (‘index.php’ != $menu[$page][2]))
    wp_redirect(get_option(‘siteurl’) . ‘/wp-admin/’ . $menu[$page][2]);

add_action(‘admin_menu’, ‘remove_the_dashboard’);
    ?>

Just a couple ideas to help improve your product, I’ll be donating too, thank you.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the suggestion (and donation)!

That feature is actually included in the members area functionality. A logged in user can mange their info as well as change their password. All of this is on the site front-end like the registration process.

(as I am working on an trial/subscription/expiration process for future versions, that area will also allow the user to renew their subscription.)

2. Vin Carrillo says

I asked this on the WordPress web site but I am not sure you monitor your plugin page; is there a simple way (I am not a coding expert) to modify the form fields from their defaults? For instance if I want to add custom fields like employee #, site location, department, etc…

Otherwise thanks for a great plugin.

3. Vin Carrillo says

Almost forgot another question – is it possible to hide not only a page but the page link in the navigation bar until someone logs in?

Thanks for the comments!

The answer to both your questions is “yes” that can be done, but it would have to be done programatically. With the page link, you don’t need the plugin for that type of feature. You would need to hard-code your navigation and use the WP function is_user_logged_in. It could be done dynamically, but you’d have to know how to do some more advanced php.

4. Karl W says

Thanks for a great tool. I have a question about using both WP-Members and the native WP password protection for a particular page. I have a site that is to be member-only for all but the landing page, a static page.

There is one other page with info, video, etc. that I would like members to be able to refer others to for information, etc., but to have it available only by virtue of a single, common P/W, such as the WP tool does. Ideally it would be unblocked from WP-Members but blocked with the WP password.

Is there any way that’s possible? The “unblock” custom field undoes both.

BTW – In your ReadMe file I believe you have the “block” and “unblock” settings reversed.

5. Karl W says

Re: my previous question, it appears that the “unblock” custom field does not unblock the WP-protected page. BUT, once a browser has gone in correctly it’s allowed in again even if the P/W is not saved and the browser is closed and later reopened. That’s why it threw me off.

Karl,
      If I read this correctly, it looks like you answered your own question. I hope that’s the case. If not, let me know and I’ll try to help. Thanks for commenting!

Hi,
    Since I’m a newbie in WP I tried to install WP-member in the right way.
    I’m trying to secure only two pages (userlogin), the other must be free to the world. But somehow all pages are login restricted. How do I manage this? Sencondly I want all the subpages (not defined yet) also securedwhen the mother is secured.
    Thanks in advance.